Underrated

That's what the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud is, in my opinion. It's based on a brand new idea in the world of children's fiction, an idea with many possibilities. "Magicians use their trappings to disguise their true source of power- djinn and other magical beings." Bartimaeus, a djinni says, in the book. And what an idea it is...the moment I opened the book, I was caught up in its extremely absorbing tale of adventure and magic, interpersed with Bartimaeus's "impish" (pun intended) humour. Buried treasure in the bookstore.
The first book, the "Amulet of Samarkand" is followed by "The Golem's Eye" and "Ptolemy's Gate", each of which are worth every rupee spent in acquiring them. But the sad thing is that not many people know about these books.
Now take Harry Potter, who doesn't know the series intimately? Only a person who's been shut away for the past decade or so. Now, I don't have anything against that series, I myself passed many happy hours of childhood poring over them. They are a stroke of genius too, and are a household name now, thanks to excellent marketing strategy.
Now I think the Bartimaeus trilogy deserves the readership that Harry Potter had. (it's all over now...after Deathly Hallows) Readers, I'm sure, will be glad to have something after their beloved Harry Potter series has now closed its final chapter.

1 comment:

LessThanFerpect said...

Hiya! Just thought I'd leave a comment. Looks like nobody other than us read the Trilogy and rave about it:-) My vote's for Honorius tho'! I mean, a possessed skeleton that runs amok all over London - can't beat that for laffs!