...

when the man grabbed the package from me and quickly moved off. It was growing dark, and all my thoughts of this mystery came rushing back as I walked after the man, calling out. He ignored me and gave no sign of hearing.
A thought struck me- The man might be deliberately taking the package to prevent me from discovering what the billing clerk had wanted to convey. The man with the dark jacket might be involved!
I finally caught up with him and asked disarmingly “Hello! I think you took my keys by mistake, when I handed you your things.”
He looked at me with suspicion, dug into his pockets and said to me “I don’t think so.” and quickly made for the exit of the park.
“Hey!” I shouted in despair. “I think you have something that belongs to me!”
“Like what?” he asked, suddenly turning around in exasperation.
Why not, I decided, if I didn’t ask straight away, I would never get it.
“The package! I want it!” I yelled, but in vain because he had already disappeared.
He’s definitely involved, I thought, and raced after him. Immediately, I was caught up in the crowd of the main road. I wound around traffic and various children playing on the road to try and catch a glimpse of him. Ah! There he was, chatting with someone at a stall. I continued to move, keeping my eyes on the bobbing dark jacket. At a point, he looked back and caught sight of me. Just as I was getting close enough too. He increased his pace and took the nearest turn, failing to notice a group of children playing football. He ran into one of them and out dropped the package and a can of Spring Cola, which rolled away to a corner. Before he could recover, I ran forward and picked up the package. I disappeared from sight just as he rounded the corner.
X-------------------------X
The following day held dazzling prospects for me, as I was to open the mysterious package. I undid the strings and impatiently drew out its contents. There was a folded square sheet of paper, a blurred photo and a small wrought iron flower, which looked like it had been broken off something. I unfolded the sheet of paper and it read:
“Dear Rescuer,
I am trapped here and cannot escape without your help. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you where I am being held as I myself do not know. I have been kept blindfolded ever since they kidnapped me and hence, do not have a clue as to where I am right now. Now it is up to you to rescue me! These things- the photo and the flower- are all I could manage to find to send to you. Observe them carefully, for they may hold a clue as to where I am being held. I am kept in a dark, locked room which I estimate to be somewhere at least two or three floors up. Luckily, I found the photo lying around on a table when they had removed the blindfold for a while. As for the flower, I clutched at the doors until it fell into my hand. I urge you to hurry and find me before they move me again.
Gratefully yours,
N. S.”

This was turning out to be more exciting than I thought! N.S. meant…Narang Shah! Now it was confirmed that it was indeed him who needed my help. The note was from him, desperate for help, ready to accept any help that might help him to escape from such a dreadful place. I focused my attention on the photo…it was extremely blurred and I could only make out a tall minaret towards the corner, barely visible among the greenery. The pillar had a rectangular base and had four tapering spikes.

No comments: