Modern Day Mirage by Anushya S.B.

Well, here's a story of mine.


I crossed Whitefield’s Chocolate Chip Cookies and went over to the Top Quality Mops and Brooms. I turned right into the next aisle, which contained the legends – Pure Detergent (One wash and totally Pure!), Citrus Toothpastes (Flavors that are out of this world! Peppermint Planet, Chocolate Comets and many more!!) and Knobb’s Instant Noodles (Spice up your life! Available in Chili, Lemon, Grass). I stopped in surprise and read the boards above the noodles again. It read- “(Available in Chilli, Lemongrass)” Oh! Now it made sense!
I carried forth my quest in the supermarket.

My best friend was turning fifteen the next day, a very special occasion that required a special gift. I knew J-Mart was the place to look. But, so far, I hadn’t found anything. I must have plagued at least a dozen salespeople, visited over a half a dozen counters and darted at least twice over all the aisles. The conversation nearby woke me up from the reverie I had fallen into, while worrying about this.
“Hello, Pooja! How are you, dear? Look…” an elderly lady said to a salesgirl standing a little way down the aisle. It struck me as odd. How many people are on such familiar terms with salesgirls in a giant supermarket?
The lady continued as the salesgirl smiled at her “…I’ve got another bracelet to add to that collection of your grandfather’s. A friend of mine was glad to donate it.”

They said their goodbyes and I realized it was time to wander aimlessly through another aisle. But the word “bracelet” seemed to hang in the air above me – Jewelry! Why hadn’t I thought of that? I went up to the salesgirl and spoke to her
“Excuse me, Pooja, right?” I said, noticing she was only a few years older than me.
“Yeah, how may I help you?” she asked me, smiling still.
“I…um…want to buy some jewelry as a gift for my friend and I heard you mention something…” I trailed off, aware that I was revealing that I had overheard.
She hesitated and immediately, I decided that there was something disturbing about the proposition and it was getting late, so I told her “Never mind…” and turned around.
“It’s alright! I don’t mind showing you…” she lowered her voice “…but as this is a semi-private collection, I must ask you to keep it a secret.”
“Ok! Your secret is safe with me. I’ll be as silent as…” I gabbled in happiness and followed her. She unlocked a door that said “Private. For Staff Only.” and a long staircase came into view. I walked up into the darkness as Pooja switched on the lights.

I stopped at the top of the staircase and gazed in wonder at the sight in front of me. Vast showcases and gleaming rosewood cabinets with shining glass doors were arranged in a circle. Some of them started to slowly swivel around on their bases. But what was really extraordinary was the glint and shimmer of gold and silver, along with the sparkling hues of precious and semi-precious gems. It seemed completely out-of-place in a supermarket. Then I began to have doubts about whether or not I could afford something from here.
“Pooja!” I called “Are you sure that these items are in my range of purchase?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have skill as a writer but you need to relax your style much more to give it a realistic feel. YOu are too formal in your style...this results in the emotion being lost and character development is only one dimensional.