...

If only I could find Mr. Shah, then the indignity I had suffered would melt away into victory and the gratitude I would get from everyone, once I achieved it. Lost in these blissful dreams, I banged into an open gate. Muttering, I drew back and was awed by the sight of Bhagya Mansion- a famous, once-happening place but now, quite dilapidated and abandoned. My collision with the already very-wrecked gate wrecked it further and a tiny object came off the intricate design. I scooped it up and nearly exclaimed in delight- it was the same wrought iron flower as the one in the package! Looking at the building, I noticed that it had several minaret-like structures and they all sported the same design with the same wrought iron flowers.
Excited, I took out the photo and studied it carefully. A perfect match! The minarets were the same with the spires and all.

As I moved towards the front door, I noticed a shed in the corner of the garden- it had Spring Cola crates all around it and even had a mini-billboard on top, advertising the drink. Dismissing it, I tried the door nervously and it opened. Why was it unlocked though? You’d think that a place where a kidnapping victim was held would be more, you know, secured. That was the reason for my tiptoeing all the way till the front hall, from where a staircase-he was being held somewhere high up- so I was about to go up as I heard a rustle in the bushes. I whirled around, my heart pounding faster. The sound was heard no more.
Suddenly, I felt as if I was being watched, and ran up the staircase as fast as I could. I began to have second thoughts about bursting in like that. It seemed like it could get dangerous for someone who interfered. I should have told someone I was here!

I could hear a car come up the overgrown drive and stop right outside the main door. Men were shouting to one another, and their shouts echoed in the empty halls making it louder than it actually was. It was too late for me to get out and run away, for they were already in the main hall and were sure to catch me if I tried to get past them. I had no other choice- I sped up the staircase and kept going until I reached the first floor. Soon, I could hear heavy footsteps- they were already mounting the first flight of stairs. I moved faster, thanking my senses which had told me to wear rubber-soled shoes, which made no sound. By now, I could hear snatches of conversation. I leaned a little over the low banisters.
“I never liked this idea. Having this place as the hide-out could be dangerous…for us…in terms of security.”
These people must be the kidnappers…they were giving themselves away beautifully to me!

With this realization, I started and my spare bunch of keys slipped and went clanging all the way down to where the men where. I winced and quickly scooted into the nearest room. Meanwhile, the men had been alerted by my clumsiness, discussed quickly and came bounding up the stairs.
I tried to move as quietly as possible through the dark room. But, as clumsy as ever, I bumped into one of the tables, which resulted in a box falling onto the floor with a huge bang. Thanks to that, the men now knew where to look and came immediately. Desperately, I ducked behind two large terracotta pots and kept still.
The men were opening all the rooms and briefly glancing through each one. My heart pounded uncontrollably as they opened the door of the room which I was in. Lucky, I thought, that I had put the box back into place so they wouldn’t know from which room the noise had actually come from. They came, glanced and left, shutting the door. They hadn’t found me, but I was trapped!

No comments: